Wednesday, March 9, 2011

We're All Still Kids . . .

So, I haven't gotten back to my reading experiments yet. Last week I tried to give a one-sided interview, and the students had to read the passage to find the answers. It was okay, but my students are really just not into reading at all. Then, this week I tried cutting the story up into paragraphs, and having them fill in some of the blanks with their opinions. Even with the shorter reading assignment, I know several didn't read much at all. They are good at scanning though! So . . . we will continue on the journey to find a profitable way to make stubborn students read.
However, I must say that I had a very enjoyable lesson today. I was teaching airport language. I teach 18-22 year olds in a University Prep School, but rearranging the room into an airport and airplane was one of the most effective things I've done recently. Maybe it is just the change of pace, but I can finally get my students to calm down and listen to me, and at the end of the lesson in the review time they did awesome with their retention. So, all that to say, just because they look big, doesn't mean they don't enjoy old fashioned pretend. Pretty sure I'll be looking for more ways to incorporate this into my classroom.
On a side note, just because my students are stubborn, doesn't mean they aren't logical. In teaching airport vocabulary, we obviously went over take off. I loved when I asked what it was when the plane was coming down, and got the excited answer "take on!" Of course! Why not?
I love when my students make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment